Rosedale Neighborhood Association meeting
August 16, 2021 via Zoom
The meeting was called to order at 7:08 pm by co-president Jeff Archer. Jeff introduced co-president Carl Reynolds and mailing list moderators Vicki Almstrum and Robert Moorhead.
The first item was an Austin State Hospital (ASH) update by Lauv (pronounced “Love”) Bruner, Project Coordinator for the Health and Human Services Commission. (See screenshots of powerpoint slides at the end.) The main takeaways:
- Interested parties should definitely look at the website, Ashredesign.org.
- Hospital completion (the giant building going up immediately north of Central Market) is projected for Spring 2023.
- The dark grey completed structure north of that is a warehouse.
The second item concerned Yarborough Library, with Aaron Goldman, a program specialist/community outreach staffer at the branch. Aaron can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org. The Yarborough page of the Austin Public Library is library.austintexas.gov/yarborough-branch. Aaron mentioned several items:
- Yarborough was closed for 2 years but is open now.
- Meeting room usage is still suspended.
- There are virtual programs and displays.
- He is working on an “asset mapping” project for needs and strengths of the neighborhoods served by the branch and is interested in hearing from people.
- There is an “older adult” book club meeting monthly.
- They offer language learning.
- The branch has a seed library .
- There is still public computer access using every other terminal.
- They are requiring masks for entry.
- The front exchange area is open.
- Checked out materials have longer renewals, five times auto-renew for 3 weeks each.
- Aaron can help the RNA connect with the Austin History Center and surface more information about the neighborhood and about the Austin State Hospital.
Jeff concluded the meeting at 8:15, noting that we hope to get another paper newsletter out and plan for another RNA meeting in the Fall.
[dflip id=”5122″ ][/dflip]